Everything about Freedom screams mediocrity. It rips off countless, better sci-fi stories to create a hodgepodge, nigh-unenjoyable series. If you take a quick look at the fan-ratings for this series on Anime New Network you’ll see that the majority of people reviewed it as Excellent or Very Good, with a few Masterpieces thrown in there, as well. Since otaku rarely watch or read anything outside of anime and manga, then they are unlikely to notice that everything here is recycled. Freedom offers absolutely nothing new. While that might be okay if the execution was good, well, it isn’t. It’s trite and boring, and generally a waste of time.
Archive for March, 2009
It seems like every time I check out any anime produced in the last five years, all I encounter is a bunch of unwatchable moe shit. In fact, I had pretty much given up on anime altogether. The last new show that I finished and enjoyed was Gurren Lagann. Everything else was so godawfully bad, I would rather blow my brains out than finish it. Fortunately, I stumbled upon an interesting series titled Welcome to the NHK, and it rejuvenated my interest in anime.
My initial reaction was that this had something to do with the Japanese TV corporation, NHK. However, that isn’t the case. NHK stands for the Nihon Hikikomori Kyoukai, or in non-weaboo-English, Japanese Recluse Association. The show features the exploits of Sato, a 20-something recluse who is so afraid of the myriad conspiracies plaguing the world, he refuses to leave the safety and comfort of his cramped apartment.
Obviously, there are no conspiracies, but he is certain they exist. Everything is a conspiracy. The noisy neighbor who plays anime theme songs, the people that laugh at him if he ventures out, and pretty much everything else, is a conspiracy. In that case, why not just stay in and avoid them? Sounds good to me. I wish more otaku would follow Sato’s lead and never go out in public. Actually, I would like them to take it a step further and not get on the internet either. The world would be a better place if fat, sweaty, pedophilic otaku would not contact the outside world in any way, shape, or form.
My roommate is an undeniably huge asshole. Here is a list of things that he does (perhaps intentionally, I’m not sure) to piss me off:
- Throws twist-ties from plastic bags on the kitchen floor, even though the trash can is two feet away.
- Spills juice / drops food on the floor and doesn’t clean it up.
- Leaves 500 pairs of shoes in the entryway, strategically placed for me to trip over every time I enter or leave the apartment.
- When asked to clean up his messes, he says that he will, but doesn’t do it.
- When yelled at to clean up his messes, he assures me he will, but still doesn’t do it.
- Takes 30 minute showers (with the temperature as hot as possible) and then runs the bathroom sink for 15 minutes (also with the temperature as hot as possible) while he shaves. After all of this, if I try to take a shower, the water is ice cold.
- Doesn’t turn the shower all the way off, so the water is on all day long, which runs up the utility bill.
- Runs the heater in the summer, and the air conditioner in the winter.
- Starts talking and interrupts whatever I’m watching on TV without waiting for a commercial.
- Slams cabinet doors, bangs pots and pans, and rattles around the kitchen in the middle of the night, waking me up.
- Put knives into the knife block upside down.
- Runs the dryer at 7am while I’m trying to sleep.
- Leaves rotting food in the trash can so that the entire apartment smells like garbage.
- Explodes food in the microwave, and leaves toast in the toaster for up to a week at a time.
- Never turns off my DVD player, and it may remain on for up to 24 hours.
- Is able to run the dishwasher, but unable to empty it.
- Sleeps from 5pm to 2am, so if I watch TV with the volume on it always wakes him up.
- Doesn’t understand why I am constantly annoyed with him, and spend as little time at home as possible.
- Is generally inconsiderate, and has no idea how to live with other humans.
- Thinks his behavior is completely normal.
Do you have a horrible roommate? Let me know what they do to piss you off.