Blood+ is an anime series that aired from October 8, 2005 until September 23, 2006. It aired weekly and broadcast a total of 50 episodes. I started watching it weekly, through torrents, in October 2005. And I finished watching it on… um, September 23, 2012. Holy shit! It took me forever to finish this goddamn show, and, completely unintentionally, I finished it the same day it finished airing, albeit 6 years later.
What took so long? It’s not that the show was particularly bad. It wasn’t. It was good enough. It was about vampires, and had plenty of action in almost every episode. But I found I just couldn’t get into it. I was always putting it on the back burner to watch something else. I would watch a handful of episodes at a time, and then put it on hold again for several months. By the time I finished it, I could hardly remember any of the plot points or characters that populated the show. It was like watching this weird, detached monstrosity that was entertaining, but I had no idea what was going on. That must be what it’s like to have Alzheimer’s Disease.
So, anyway, here’s a list of things that happened between the show beginning to air and my finishing it.
- Post-Hurricane Katrina clean-up.
- Gas prices in the U.S. hit $3 per gallon (note that Obama is not president).
- Iraq has its first democratic election.
- A 25 year old British man is revealed to have been “cured” from HIV.
- First human face transplant occurs in France.
- Jackson Pollock’s painting No. 5, 1948 sells for $150 million.
- North Korea successfully detonates a nuclear device.
- Human Genome Project publishes the last chromosome sequence in Nature.
- Twitter is launched.
- Windows Vista is released (the world groans).
- The mortgage crisis begins (note that Obama is not president).
- The Seventh and final Harry Potter book is published.
- Transformers film is released, beginning Michael Bay’s ascent to worldwide domination.
- Breakthroughs in cellular research allow skin cells to be reprogrammed to act like stem cells.
- The original iPhone is revealed (the world orgasms).
- Large corporations go out of business, and the worldwide economic crisis begins (note Obama is still not president).
- Mumbai is held hostage.
- Michael Phelps wins a shitload of Olympic gold medals.
- Bernie Madoff’s massive Ponzi scheme is revealed and taken down.
- Obama is elected President of the United States of America.
- Shooting tragedy at Fort Hood, Texas.
- Michael Jackson dies.
- The Swine Flu (H1N1) ravages the globe and destroys civilization (oh wait, that didn’t happen).
- Avatar, the highest grossing movie of all time, is released.
- Tiger Woods has sex with every woman on the planet.
- Julian Assange, head of Wiki-Leaks, arrested for sexual assault.
- Chilean miners are trapped underground for about a million days.
- World Cup takes place in South Africa, and oh god, the vuvuzelas.
- The Facebook Movie wins a bunch of awards it didn’t deserve.
- No More Heroes 2 and Fallout: New Vegas are both released, and suck up all my free time.
- A new anime series, Blood-C, begins and airs to completion (and I still haven’t finished Blood+).
- Occupy Wall Street happens.
- Fukushima Daiichi disaster happens.
- Charlie Sheen has an epic meltdown.
- Our Glorious Leader Kim Jong-Il tragically dies.
- A new anime movie, Blood-C: The Last Dark, premieres in Japanese theaters (and I still haven’t finished Blood+).
- The Dark Knight Rises is released, kicks copious amounts of ass.
- Prometheus is released, sucks copious amounts of ass.
- The Curiosity Rover successfully lands on Mars. It immediately sets up a Twitter account.
- CERN announces that the Large Hadron Collider may have discovered the Higgs Boson.
Annnnd we’re done. And not a moment too soon. The Maya predicted the world would end on December 21, 2012. So, it’s a good thing that I managed to finally finish Blood+.